PDF Documentation

rinch at Inficon.com rinch at Inficon.com
Thu Jan 22 13:06:01 PST 2009

Kelly,

My experience is that my users prefer viewing PDFs, preferring PDF over
paper.

We shifted from delivering paper operating manuals to delivering PDFs on
CD a years ago. We were worried at first, but needlessly so. We even
offered to ship printed, bound hardcopy for free to any user that
requested it. Our users liked the change to PDF very much, and now prefer
PDFs.  I have not had a request for a hardcopy manual in years. Actually,
customers have told their reps how much they prefer the PDFs.

Our Service Department initially balked when we talked about doing away
with hardcopy Service Manuals, but once they started using the PDFs they
shifted quickly away from paper. I can put E size schematics in a PDF
(beautiful vector drawings created directly from our CAD software --- for
example, Service Technicians can print just a portion of the schematic at
whatever zoom level they want on standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper or print the
entire schematic on E size paper if the printer supports it). The Service
Technicians now have PDFs that contain all the Service information they
need, and they can always find a printer they can hook into to print
hardcopy, if need be. But, honestly, the standard for them is to work from
their laptop, viewing the PDF of the manual on screen.

If users are connected to a printer, they will print out pages of interest
to them. But, I've never heard of anyone actually printing a whole PDF to
hardcopy.

I do support a product line of hand held instruments used by HVAC
technicians; more of a main stream, over-the-counter product. For example,
when you call a HVAC technician to come service your central air
conditioning, they will probably have in their truck a small hand held
leak detector in a very tough case. We include small, short, paper manuals
for those hand held products. We do not supply a CD with the manual on it
to these people; they prefer paper (they can get their manual in PDF off
of our website, though). Honestly, these instruments don't really need a
manual anyway, and I suspect most of these paper manuals are quickly lost
once people figure out how to install the batteries, how to set the
sensitivity range, and turn it on/off.

But, for my larger, more complicated instruments, PDF alone is just fine
and is actually preferred by my customers. These instruments often come
with specialized control software, and since those users are already using
computers, PDF is a natural fit. This is especially true for instruments
that are used in clean room environments. Years ago I prepared very
expensive clean room paper manuals. A PDF viewed on their clean room
computer is now the preferred choice by my users. These instruments are
not sold "over the counter". They are purchased with Service Contracts
and/or installation by trained technicians. We don't even supply short
Quick Use Guides or Getting Started Guides (like those you get when you
buy a new printer for your home computer) because only trained technicians
should install the instrument. The installation parameters are in the
Operating Manual PDF on the CD we supply, but in most cases a trained
technician, working from a Service Manual PDF, does the actual instrument
installation.

Your situation may be different than mine. Perhaps your products are more
"mainstream". But, for me, PDF works well for all but my hand held
products, and PDF is preferred over  hardcopy by all but my hand held
product users.

Richard

"Kelly McDaniel" <kmcdaniel at pavtech.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
01/22/2009 11:40 AM

<framers at lists.frameusers.com>
cc

Subject
PDF Documentation

Quick Survey:

Is it your experience that users view PDF documentation on their
computer display in preference to printing it for use?

If so, by what ratio of view:print? Opinions and SWAGs are fine.

Kelly M. McDaniel

Senior Technical Writer

Pavilion Technologies

A Rockwell Automation Company