Why does Frame cycle 2x ?

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Fri Jan 23 05:28:33 PST 2009

Hi, everyone. I thought some more detail would be helpful. Here's what's
currently happening:

--I am searching for Markers of Type: Index.

--I've selected "Book" selected as the thing I want to search (in the
Find/Change dialog box).

--I've opened all the chapters of the book (they're minimized at the
bottom of the Frame workspace), and I began my search from the Book
window, if that makes any difference.

--Since the first marker is in Chapter 1, that chapter opens to full
size when the search finds the first marker.

--I have the Markers window open so I can see the text of each marker.

--As I cycle through the document looking at the markers, I sometimes
edit existing markers, or I put the cursor in the text and insert new
markers. Then I go back to searching from that point.

--When Find/Change has located the last marker in the chapter, and I
click Find again,  the search returns to page 1 of the same file instead
of moving to the next file in the book. (And there ARE markers in all
chapters, so it should open Chapter 2 instead of cycling again through
Chapter 1).

This is happening with a search for markers, but I have observed this
behavior repeatedly in all kinds of searches. I see the same results
coming up, in the same order, a second time; once the search has
finished the second cycle, it goes on to the next file in the book.

Surely other people experience this; it's seemed to be a Frame constant
for years. If it's just me, what the heck am I doing to make this
happen?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at  5:13 PM, Lief Erickson wrote:

> My experience is that if you leave the Find dialog box to edit
something, FrameMaker knows this and starts its search over from the
last location of the cursor in the flow until it has circled through the
file back to the cursor spot. If you don't jump from the Find dialog
into the document, FrameMaker only goes through the file once. I know of
no way to have it stop once it reaches the end of the file without
circling back through if I've made a change in the document that wasn't
using the Find dialog.