Vaguely OT: Graphics Editor Recommendations?

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Jan 23 07:49:43 PST 2009

Phillip Norman wrote:
> I saw this question in light different from replies so far. I rely on
>  FrameMaker itself for 2D drawings. Is this possibly overlooked? I am
> unaware of better graphics tools for many purposes. I followed the
> thread hoping to see remarks on progress with the FrameMaker tools in
> newer versions. v5.5.6 is good enough for what I do as a construction
> contractor, I think. But, I try to understand what I might be missing
> without upgrades. Among other tasks, I draw objects onto photos,
> often from Snagit capture of satellite images, Google Maps, or city
> databases. I like having drawings live within my FrameMaker documents
> (bids, contracts and more).
>
> I don't find comparable tools in InDesign or any other Adobe
> software.
>
> Do we have anything to discuss about evolution of the FrameMaker
> graphics tool-set?

Hi Phil,

FM's tools are fine for simple drawings that require only lines and
solid fills, but for *illustrations* where you want gradients, textures,
shadows, transparency effects, etc., they simply can't do it.

I've been promoting Xara's current offer of their previous version of
Xtreme for $19 because I think anyone who needs to do the more
sophisticated kind of work will find it a stunning value.  I have
absolutely no training in visual arts whatsoever and can't even draw a
symmetrical stick-man, but I was able to create this splash screen with
Xara after working through only a handful of the company's tutorials:

http://www.phoenix-geophysics.com/home/nav_logo/nav_logo.php

There's no way FM's tools could produce something like that.

I'm on FM 7.0, and I just installed the trial of FM 9; the graphics
tools are virtually identical to what's pictured in a 5.5.6 For Dummies
book I inherited, so there has been no change.

Best regards,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

Suggested headline for theonion.com:
"In Final Trip to Beijing, Bush Calls on Premier to 'Tear Down This Wall'"

-- Malcolm Fleschner, Palo Alto, Calif., in The Washington Post