FM8 Updates (was: Re: difficulties using italics for index entries in FM 8.0)

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Mon Jan 26 13:34:57 PST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:43:49 -0700, "Lucie Haskins"
<LucieH at att.net> wrote:

>Now, *why* FM didn't automatically update to 273 when
>I asked it to earlier this past weekend, I'll never
>know. It just updated me to 266...

It's because you were at 236, the one before 266.  Since
updates are sequential, and not cumulative, it chose the
one for the level you were at, 236; it couldn't choose
either of the later ones, because you weren't at the level
they required yet.  Likewise, when you were at 266, it
could offer the one to 273, but not the last one, to 277.

There are three FM8 patches shown at:
 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

8.0.1  English, French, German; from 236 to 266
8.0.2  English, French, German; from 266 to 273
8.0.4  English, French, German, Japanese; from 273 to 277

The missing one, 8.0.3, had some nasty bugs and was replaced
by 8.0.4, which I'm still not willing to install myself... ;-)

One of 277's "features" is a change to the sort order of the
formats in the catalogs that makes mincemeat of keyboard
usage for applying formats (Ctrl-number-letters).  The same
"improvement" is in FM9, but thankfully there is a maker.ini
setting to make it work the old (correct) way.  With 277,
you're stuck with it; you can't undo the patch unless you
uninstall and reinstall from the original media.  Be warned.

HTH!