Outline

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Tue Jan 27 17:05:11 PST 2009

Scott, Gary:

> What you are referring to
> doing, Hedley, is operating in a structured environment.

You have misrepresented what I actually said.

I have used the DITA XML schema and the DITA-FMx plug-in for FrameMaker
to develop structured documentation.  But it is certainly a far from
trivial exercise to set up the structapp.fm file with all the formatting
rules to get your preferred look and feel.  You would only take on this
level of setting-up overhead if you could amortise the time/cost over a
significant number of titles.

I do not think Donald was looking to get into structured documentation
just yet.  He probably has a virtual structure where, in his mind and in
his files, Heading 1 /is/ at a higher level than Heading 2.  For those
who want some of the benefits of structure in unstructured documents
without the hassle, I highly recommend Enhance for FrameMaker from
Sandybrook Software.  You can configure it so that Heading 1 is indeed
higher than Heading 2, so that when you collapse the Heading 1 block,
any contained  Heading 2 subblocks are suppressed but revealed when
Heading 1 is expanded again.

Enhance works pretty much like the structured view in Word and you can
perform all the same operations in Enhance that you can in Word,
including outlining when you are developing the structure initially.

So for Donald, Enhance is the way to go.

A structured document, preferable saved to XML and opened directly from
XML (*.fm files are not used at all) has many advantages: you can use
all the XML tools on the saved files but work in a friendly WYSIWYG
environment.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>