Looking for software to convert Framemaker 7 sources to clean HTML (for HTML Help) supporting multiple languages

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Wed Jan 28 13:46:40 PST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:34:07 -0500, Celine Deguire <celdeguire at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I am looking for a software to convert Framemaker 7.2 documentation sources
>to clean HTML (for HTML Help). I have been reviewing Mif2Go and was
>convinced it was the good option until I just read in the product
>documentation "Mif2Go does not currently support Japanese". I need this
>product to work with multiple international languages including German,
>Japanese, Russian, and Chinese as well as many others.

The "currently" would have been for versions before Frame 8,
which did not use Unicode.  So if you were to upgrade your
Frame 7.2 to 8 (for which sealed-box upgrades should still
be available on eBay), or 9, you would be able to support
Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, including Chinese using ExtB
(which Frame doesn't display, but which is present).

We've always supported Russian, Greek, CE, and others, just
not double-byte (CJK, pre-8) or RTL (Hebrew, Arabic, and
Farsi, which Frame doesn't support itself either).  We have
as many customers in Europe and the Mideast as in the US.

If you are using Asian languages much, you really should get
at least Frame 8 anyway, since it allows *much* better use
of multiple languages in one document, and supports pretty
much *all* Unicode characters in the BMP (assuming you have
Unicode fonts that contain them).

HTH!