Frame crashes when importing large XML file

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 02:25:40 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

FM8, structured
XML, DocBook 4.2  (I know, I know. Not my idea, but an OEM customer requires
it).
WinXP Pro
4 GB RAM
160 GB HDD

We're trying to import an XML file into FM8 but FM crashes.  The file
includes 750 topics that are imported into an FM book as mini-chapter files.
They will eventually become topics in RH via TCS.  However, FM crashes at
about 250 files (repeatable).  Restarting FM and/or rebooting the system has
no effect.

We thought at first that there might be a limit on the number of chapters
that can be added to a book. But the Adobe Tech Note at
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/310/310864.html says no, although there may be a
practical limit that is dependent on RAM and disk space.

	TechNote
	Maximum Number of Files in an Adobe FrameMaker Book
	Ratings:0
	FrameMaker does not limit the number of files you can place in a generated
book.
	Adobe has tested placing several hundred files in a book without
consequence.
	Though you can create a book of this size, generating or updating the book
requires
	enough memory and disk space to open and save every file.

I searched the net and the Adobe site but could not find any informatrion
related to this problem.  If anyone has any experience with this or knows of
a tech note or other Adobe article that might provide an answer, I would
really appreciate the help.

Thanks lots.

Diane Gaskill
Hitachi Data Systems