Use of "please" in technical documentation and messages on screen

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Jul 6 19:52:20 PDT 2009

On the other hand, why is it that computer programs must be seen to be
terse/rude?

There is no reason why a computer generated request cannot be
perceived as, at least, courteous.

"Please wait" is not a difficult thing to understand and is better for
the user to read than a terse "wait".

It is not relevant that it may not be translatable into other
languages. Users will be reading it in English, the language it is
written in.

Alan