Creating a Topic ID in FrameMaker for generating HTML help using Mif2Go

Mark Soiseth mark.soiseth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:30:20 PDT 2009

We use FrameMaker 8.0p277 to generate our manuals and then we use
Mif2Go to generate HTML help from the same files.

The system works but now they want to introduce a few topic IDs. In
other words, they want the help button, in certain circumstances, to
open the HTML help at certain topics.

I understand how that works, but I'm quite sure that Mif2Go generates
the topic IDs each time it generates the HTML help. Therefore, the
topic ID may be internally valid, but might not be the same from one
build of the help to the next. They would need to know what the topic
ID is before they build the software but, because the help is built
after the application, it would not work.

Is there any way I can set a secondary topic ID in FrameMaker that
Mif2Go will keep? I seem to recall having read a long time ago that I
could set a certain type of marker with defined content (such as
"HelpTopic"). And that Mif2Go would use that marker to create a topic
ID.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Mark