Standard font for technical documentation

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Tue Jul 21 01:29:46 PDT 2009

Hi,

> My _personal_ preference leans to the new MS fonts (Cambria,
> I think it
> was) that were released with Vista, based on having edited two papers
> that used them and from an IEEE Spectrum article about the
> research involved
> in their creation. I have not personally used the fonts (not
> available on
> my older system), but the two documents did seem especially
> clear on screen
> without being distractingly different.

Yesterday I read that some applications might have kerning
problems with Cambria. This was noticed with "old" applications
such as Word 2003 or Word 2007 (in compatibility mode) or
FrameMaker. See here for an example:
http://www.ernst-line.de/test/nanotruck.pdf

The information is here (in German):
http://www.typografie.info/typoforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3137

Michael Müller-Hillebrand pointed this out in his (German) blog:
http://cap-studio.de/wp/index.php/2009/07/calibri-cambria-candara-consolas-constantia-corbel/

I did not test this myself.

Best regards

Winfried