Standard font for technical documentation

Gary Schnabl gSchnabl at SWDetroit.com
Tue Jul 21 02:34:39 PDT 2009

Reng, Dr. Winfried wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> My _personal_ preference leans to the new MS fonts (Cambria,
>> I think it
>> was) that were released with Vista, based on having edited two papers
>> that used them and from an IEEE Spectrum article about the
>> research involved
>> in their creation. I have not personally used the fonts (not
>> available on
>> my older system), but the two documents did seem especially
>> clear on screen
>> without being distractingly different.
>>

> Yesterday I read that some applications might have kerning
> problems with Cambria. This was noticed with "old" applications
> such as Word 2003 or Word 2007 (in compatibility mode) or
> FrameMaker. See here for an example:
> http://www.ernst-line.de/test/nanotruck.pdf
>
> The information is here (in German):
> http://www.typografie.info/typoforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3137
>
> Michael Müller-Hillebrand pointed this out in his (German) blog:
> http://cap-studio.de/wp/index.php/2009/07/calibri-cambria-candara-consolas-constantia-corbel/
>
> I did not test this myself.
>
> Best regards
>
> Winfried

For standard typefaces embedded in print PDF documents, I use Palatino
Linotype for serifs, the new (free) Inconsolata-dk for monospaced, and
any of a number of sans-serif typefaces--usually Arial, Verdana,
Calibri., etc.

Gary