What are the Ideal fonts for Windows and Linux?

Gary Schnabl gSchnabl at SWDetroit.com
Tue Jul 21 02:12:20 PDT 2009

Garnier Garnier wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> I have a question:
>
> Which is the ideal font that is supported by all browsers, and on Windows and Linux?
>
> The html page that I am working on does not use any specific fonts or size. The Heading uses the H2 tag and the body uses the body tag. Depending on the browser used to open the page it would pick up the default font on both OS. Now most system requirements at our end have changed on Linux due to which the display is normal on Windows but not on Linux. On Linux the font size and type has changed. The size is 70 and bold.
>
> B/R
> Garnier

For the browser part of your questions, you are probably aware of the
vendor/user defaults for a particular user agent (browser) For example,
for the FF 3.5 browser on Windows XP, the res\html.css file in the
installation folder has its default settings. Other browsers work similarly.

As a rule, I use a reset CSS file in my PHP/XHTML websites to reset some
of those default settings--using the following Tripoli CSS definitions:

Gary

    |/*
    Tripoli is a generic CSS standard for HTML rendering.
    Copyright (C) 2007  David Hellsing

    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published
    by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
    General Public License for more details.

    along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    */

    * {
      text-decoration: none;
      font-size: 1em;
      outline: none;
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
    }
    code, kbd, samp, pre, tt, var, textarea, input, select, isindex,
    listing, xmp, plaintext {
      white-space: normal;
      font-size: 1em;
      font: inherit;
    }
    dfn, i, cite, var, address, em {
      font-style: normal;
    }
    th, b, strong, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
      font-weight: normal;
    }
    a, img, a img, iframe, form, fieldset, abbr, acronym, object,
    applet, table {
      border: none;
    }
    table {