Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 29 04:34:22 PDT 2009

I haven't used XMetal, but we do use FM9 to author DITA XML, and
ePublisher (XML adapter) to create online help. We author XML files and
ditamaps in FM9. To create PDFs, we save our ditamaps as composite FM
books, which works fine. After the books are generated, we apply
templates to the FM files to make them look the way we want. From there,
we generate our PDF files. However, WebWorks (ePublisher) says that it
plans to create a PDF output that you can format from within ePublisher.
If this works the way that I expect, we can generate all of our outputs
through ePublisher.

If you choose FM, do get FM9. It handles DITA much better than FM8.

You cannot use callouts in graphics, but I think this is true of any
DITA XML.
We use attribute values and ditaval files instead of conditional text to
perform conditional filtering.
DITA/FM has its own "paragraph styles", but you can make them look
however you want by editing the underlying templates and EDD files.
CMS is not a consideration for us (yet), so I cannot answer to that.

Nadine