Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring

Joe Campo joe.campo at solidworks.com
Thu Jul 30 08:08:29 PDT 2009

Hi Verner
We are migrating to XMetal DITA from RoboHelp and Frame/webworks. We
like that XMetal is in one package and we don't have to worry about
maintaining multiple applications to output our deliverables (chm,
single html, and pdf). Granted the PDF output has been difficult to
achieve, but we have a Tools person who has been able to customize
output to meet our needs.

Translation was another driver in adopting XMetal. We localize into many
languages and the ease of working with pure XML files makes life much
easier for Translators, who could not process .fm files directly.

As the others have written, analyze and base your choice on your needs.
Mind that converting legacy to XML DITA, no matter what your tool, will
have a huge impact on translation memory. If you do translation, make
sure to involve that team for input.

Good luck.
Joe Campo
DS SolidWorks
Concord, MA USA

Today's Topics:

   1. Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring
      (Andersen, Verner Engell VEA)
   2. Re: Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring (Yves Barbion)
   3. Re: Framemaker vs XMetal for structured authoring (Writer)

Message: 1