Topic changes heading levels

Judy judy at hypack.com
Mon Jun 1 09:25:53 PDT 2009

I'm using Tech. Comm. Suite ( FM8 ver. 8.0p277 & RH7 ver. 7.02.001) to
generate multiple user manuals (a full manual and 3 quickstarts) as well
as CHM Help files.  (Windows XP SP3 if it matters.)

The challenge is how to best handle those topics that appear in more
than 1 output, but at different heading levels--most commonly an H3 in
the full manual becomes an H2 in the quickstarts.

I've thought about:
 - Multiple conditionalized headings, but that would cause xref issues.
 - Building a container doc for each output where the headings are
entered directly but topic content inset by reference.  This may work,
but I'm not sure it's the best answer.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

Judy Bragg
Technical Writer
Hypack, Inc.
judy at hypack,com