Activating an image object

Tue Jun 16 06:44:25 PDT 2009

Jon Harvey wrote:

> I have an FM 9.0 in which I'm trying to import a *.png files as an
> object. The image comes in as a white box with the file name in the
> middle of it. If I activate it, the file opens in the Windows image
> viewer, not in FM. I know that FM only shows previews of actual
images;
> however, I haven't seen any option in SnagIt (the tool I use) to save
> the images with preview. I know that other people have encountered
this
> problem as well. What gives?

As Art said, using OLE (File > Import > Object) is not a good idea. FM
has a PNG filter, so it can import the file natively (File > Import >
File). Is there some special reason why you're trying to import the
files as objects, or is that just due to a bit of confusion?

Also, you're a bit confused about FM's image handling. The "shows
previews" bit applies strictly to Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files.
Those files can be saved with a TIFF preview, and FM displays only that
preview. Other graphics files, including PNG, don't have previews, and
what you see in FM is the file.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer