Table of Contents Puts Entries in Wrong Order

Rubin, Diana diana.rubin at philips.com
Tue Jun 16 06:01:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some very weird Table of Contents behavior in a book I am writing.   I'm using FrameMaker 7.0 (unstructured), p579, Windows XP Pro., SP3.

I created a book using A5-sized pages.  Each chapter contains a chapter title and various heads.    When I generate the TOC, it lists the chapter contents above the chapter title, instead of below it.

For example, this is the TOC ordering I would expect:

1 Overview

1.1    Introduction

1.2    Configurations

2 Getting Started

2.1    Introduction

2.2    Unpacking

2.2.1  Setting Up

Instead, when I generate a TOC,  I get:

1.1    Introduction

1.2    Configurations

1 Overview

2.1    Introduction

2.2    Unpacking

2.2.1  Setting Up

2 Getting Started

I do not understand why FrameMaker puts the chapter title subordinate to the contents. The reference pages for the TOC file look correct and the Reference page tags appear fine: ChaptTitleTOC, 1headTOC, 2headTOC, etc.   The only thing different about this book is that I used A5-sized pages.  I tried not using numbered heads in the chapters, and the same thing happens.

Can anyone explain this odd TOC behavior or suggest something that I might be overlooking?

Thanks so much for your help.

Diana

Diana Rubin
Learning Products Developer