Table of Contents Puts Entries in Wrong Order

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Jun 16 08:55:56 PDT 2009

Rubin, Diana wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm experiencing some very weird Table of Contents behavior in a book
> I am writing.   I'm using FrameMaker 7.0 (unstructured), p579,
> Windows XP Pro., SP3.
>

> I created a book using A5-sized pages.  Each chapter contains a
> chapter title and various heads.    When I generate the TOC, it lists
> the chapter contents above the chapter title, instead of below it.
>

> For example, this is the TOC ordering I would expect:
>

> 1 Overview
>

> 1.1    Introduction
>
> 1.2    Configurations

> 2 Getting Started
>

> 2.1    Introduction
>
> 2.2    Unpacking
>
> 2.2.1  Setting Up
>

> Instead, when I generate a TOC,  I get:
>

> 1.1    Introduction
>
> 1.2    Configurations

> 1 Overview
>

> 2.1    Introduction
>
> 2.2    Unpacking
>
> 2.2.1  Setting Up
>

> 2 Getting Started
>

> I do not understand why FrameMaker puts the chapter title subordinate
> to the contents. The reference pages for the TOC file look correct
> and the Reference page tags appear fine: ChaptTitleTOC, 1headTOC,
> 2headTOC, etc.   The only thing different about this book is that I
> used A5-sized pages.  I tried not using numbered heads in the
> chapters, and the same thing happens.
>

> Can anyone explain this odd TOC behavior or suggest something that I
> might be overlooking?
>

> Thanks so much for your help.
>

> Diana

FM collects paragraphs into the TOC in the order it encounters them in
the content files, starting with everything in the first flow followed
by everything in the next flow, if more than one flow exists.

It sounds like your content pages have the chapter title paragraphs in a
second flow; the solution would be to put them in the first flow.

(Or possibly, the chapter title is in its own text frame that is somehow
connected to the last frame of the chapter instead of to the frame that
follows it on the page... this is highly unlikely, though.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator