A Frame Problem for the Record Books

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Jun 17 09:10:35 PDT 2009

At 03:40 PM 6/15/2009, ecidade at zoominternet.net wrote:
>         Suddenly, I reach the end (or I THOUGHT) it was the end on page 79
>of a 90 page document, you know at the end of a Frame file, you
>encounter the "end of file" symbol, sort of a "double-S"
>
>         When what to my wandering eyes should appear?....more text on page
>80!  It's the next page which I cannot, for the life of me, get to
>behave or come forward to page 79.  It's as if there is a different,
>separate, text flow so I checked for a "Flow: B" and there isn't any.

Eduardo,
   I know you've solved the problem by copying the text into a new
document. If you happen to have saved the original, and still are curious
about figuring out what is going on, there may be something else you can
try. Does your document use conditional text? Can you select the text on p. 80?

   I don't know whether the situation is parallel to yours, but several
years ago I had a document with mysterious "shadow" text. Most of the
content was a multi-page table with conditional rows. Hiding and then
showing the conditional text caused an extra page to appear in the middle
of the table. The new page contained extra copies of rows that appeared
elsewhere. Content on the new page could not be selected. Penelope Perkins
from Synergex suggested rehyphenating the document (which is done from the
dialog that appears when you click the Dictionaries button in the Spelling
Checker). Even if there is no hyphenation in a document, rehyphenating
causes FrameMaker to look at every paragraph and in my case solved the
problem. If you have encountered the same rare situation, rehyphenating may
help you as well.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284