FM9: Book within a book, generated files not in PDF

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Sat Jun 20 09:52:22 PDT 2009

At 10:16 AM 6/18/2009, Combs, Richard wrote:
>Kees van de Wal wrote:
>
> > A few days ago I've posted a message about the disappearing TOC when
> > printing a book with a childbook. See e-mail below.
> >
> > Someone told me this is an intended functionality of FM. When you
>print
> > the childbook, you want to see the TOC, but when you print the
>main-book
> > you don't want to see the TOC from the childbook. I can follow this
> > explanation but it is not what I want.
> >
> > Does anybody know a way to work around this functionality?
>
>Try this: Add a new FM doc to the main-book just before the child-book.
>In the new doc, import the main flow of the child-bookTOC by reference
>to create a text inset. Update and print.

Richard, Kees,
   No need to use text insets. You can add a generated file from the child
book as a regular file in the parent book. Doing so achieves the desired
results as long as the TOC is the first component of the child book. If
not, try creating a second book that is identical to the child book except
add the TOC as an existing FM file instead of as a generated file. Then,
you can use the original child book to update the TOC but include the
modified one in the parent book.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284