Use of "please" in technical documentation and messages on screen

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:10:39 PDT 2009

Make that "...putting words in the mouth..." rather than "punning". Insufficient caffiene.

-FR

From: docudoc at hotmail.com
To: info at mikewickham.com; verner.andersen at radiometer.dk; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Use of "please" in technical documentation and messages on screen
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:08:43 -0400

But in order to avoid the passive voice, the UI resorts to the first person plural, which is also discouraged in most technical writing style guides. At best, the pronoun is unclear because it does not have a clear antecedent; at worst, it is punning words in the mouth of the company, which can potentially have lkegal consequences (at least in a litigious society like the US).
This is one of the occasions where the passive voice is actually appropriate, because it is inconsequential to the user who or what is performing the act. All that really matters to the user is that the process is occurring.

-Fred Ridder