OT: Use of "please" in technical documentation and messages on screen

William Abernathy william at inch.com
Fri Jun 26 08:35:58 PDT 2009

We've recently been reading some E.B. White books to our kids (Charlotte's Web
and The Trumpet of the Swan) and I note that White has no practical respect for
his own rules.

I avoid "Please" in instructional documentation. The reader knows what to expect
-- you're telling him or her how to make the product go, and the writer can
venture forth from the indicative-mood explanations to imperative-mood commands
without fear of offense. Cookbooks, for example, aren't lousy with "please," and
would look downright weird if they were.

I would not dismiss such small courtesies out of hand for user interfaces,
however, because users and readers have different expectations. In an
instruction from documentation, the writer is not burdening the reader, and the
word "please" just lards up the sentence. When a computer application burns a
few billion cycles and a few read-writes to disk working on a problem, however,
it introduces a delay that importunes the user. Because the application is
begging the user's indulgence while it does its work, it is in no position to
bark out orders. In this instance, manners, even robotically generated ones, are
entirely appropriate.

--William