Strange orphan behavior in tables

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Jun 29 11:55:50 PDT 2009

At 11:30 AM 6/29/2009, Andy Kass wrote:
>In the para designer, this feature is clearly labeled widow/orphan
>control, but the table designer controls refer only to orphans, so I
>thought that maybe tables handle only orphan rows, despite the
>documentation. But the behavior we're seeing is clearly setting the
>*widow* rows for small tables (assuming this definition of widows and
>orphans is correct:
>http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/2005-December/000401.html).

Andy,
   The typesetting terminology is not used consistently; a widow to some
people is an orphan to others and the other way around. However,
definitions won't solve your problem. It seems that whatever you call it,
FM only let's you specify the minimum number of rows permitted after a page
break and not the number of rows before.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284