Strange orphan behavior in tables

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:48:16 PDT 2009

Andy Kass wrote (in small part):

> I actually don't mind breaking a small table, since I have fairly tall rows. And if it does break like that, having orphans is better than having widows. However, not being able to use the space created at the bottom of the page makes it all useless. Maybe my tables are haunted by the ghost of the widow's spouse.

Are you saying that you'd like to be able to put text at the bottom of the page in between the parts of a table that breaks across pages? Or are you saying that you wouldn't mind pushing the whole table to the next page if you could fill the empty space that is created at the bottom of the first page? If it's the latter, you might get the kind of results you are looking for by Setting the "Start" property of the table to "Float" rather than "Anywhere". This allows the table to float downward, away from the paragraph that holds its anchor, to the top of the next column or page, and for the paragraphs that follows the anchor paragraph in the text flow to float upwards to fill the space. Personally, I hate the Float feature, but that's just me.

-Fred Ridder