Save As not working with Acrobat Pro 9.0

Tue Jun 30 07:41:56 PDT 2009

Garnier Garnier wrote:

> Am using FM 7.0 and was using Acrobat distiller 5.0. All was working fine
> including the scripts that I use for various processes before the docs go
> into the build.
>
> The requirement shifted to having editable pdfs so opted for Acrobat Pro
> 9.0.

I don't know how much more "editable" PDFs from Acrobat 9 are -- or should be. PDF is an output medium, and the occasional "touching up" is really all one should do with the content of a PDF.

Oh, wait -- you're coming from 5. You're probably talking about the commenting functionality.

> Uninstalled distiller 5.0 and installed 9.0. For Manual conversion “Save
> As” does not work as the tool is unable to locate the job options and the
> distiller instance.

Adobe moved the location of the job options files (with v7, I believe) from somewhere in the Acrobat installation directory tree to somewhere in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Just search your C: drive for *.joboptions and then copy the ones you're missing from the old location to the new.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "the tool is unable to locate ... the distiller instance." As someone else noted, the name of the printer instance has changed to Adobe PDF, but if you've successfully installed Acrobat Pro 9, you should have that printer instance and it should be using a port named "FILE:". Check Control Panel > Printers and Faxes to be sure.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer