Logging FrameMaker book errors in a text file

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Jun 30 16:18:35 PDT 2009

At 01:44 PM 6/29/2009, Gordon Furbush wrote:

>Hi Lynne, Looks like your work-arounds apply to structured
>FrameMaker.  We're using unstructured FrameMaker and run the XML output
>through a MarkLogic content processing pipeline to render the HTML. If you
>have any work-arounds for unstructured FrameMaker, please share
>them.  I've been thinking about looking into a scripting solution of some
>sort (e.g., munging MIF files and whatnot), but our downgrade-to-7
>solution is working fine for us now.  However, it would be nice to do
>everything in Frame 8.

Gordon,
   Structured documents give you much more control of FrameMaker XML output
than do unstructured documents. If you must stick with an unstructured
approach, I recommend globally replacing the forced return with a
recognizable string (e.g., "FORCED RETURN" or even the HTML "<br>" that you
probably eventually want) that will not otherwise occur in your documents
before generating the XML. You can use an FDK client or FrameScript to make
this change in a temporary copy of the documents. Your HTML generator can
look for this string and process it appropriately.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284