PDF Error: "A number is out of range"

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Mar 2 05:09:26 PST 2009

Nancy,

You wrote:

>We're using Frame 8 and Acrobat 9.0 Pro . When I save a book to  PDF, Acrobat
>reports the following error: "A number is out of range." Has anyone
>experienced this? How do I fix it?

I encountered this problem in a PDF produced using the combination of FM8 +
Acrobat 8 + "Save as PDF".
The "number is out of range" message is displayed upon opening the PDF in
Acrobat/Reader.

Upon inspecting the Initial View settings in Acrobat (under Initial View),
an excessively large number was displayed to the right of the Open to Page
box (1234567890).

It turned out that the "Fit Width" setting for the "At Zoom" option in
FrameMaker's PDF Settings dialog box (+"Save as PDF") was consistently
responsible for the strange value and the related error. When choosing a
value of "Default" or "Fit Page", the PDF was produced correctly.

This problem was not encountered when printing to a .PS file and distilling.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants