Dual page numbering

Wed Mar 11 14:47:02 PDT 2009

John Sgammato wrote:

> He did. He uses the chapter numbering within a unit to reassure the
user
> that none of the parts is really big and scary. He feels that if he
> takes a break on page 62, students may be dismayed and the endless
> boring class. But if no unit has more than 16 to 20 pages, then he
> expects a sense of moving right along, making progress with an easy
> subject. Most classroom references would use the chapter-oriented
> numbering.
> OTOH the absolute numbering helps us work together and helps him work
> with other trainers when they need to reference a specific page. They
> were having trouble getting on the same page with 24 different page
> 3s...

But there shouldn't be 24 different page 3s. If you're going to restart
numbering for each chapter, you need to use what's called folio (or
chapter-page) numbering:

1-1, 1-2, 1-3, ..., 2-1, 2-2, ..., 3-1, 3-2, ...

It should be clear even to a trainer (that's a joke) that page 3-17 and
page 6-17 aren't the same page. In Acrobat, you can set the numbering to
match -- or save a lot of time by getting Rick Quatro's PageLabeler
plugin, which transfers FM's page numbering to the PDF.

Setting up folio numbering in FM is a bit of work. You really should
create a new set of templates (not from scratch, of course, but starting
from your existing templates) for folio-numbered books.

-- On the master pages, you have to insert the Chapter Number variable
and a dash or hyphen (I use an N dash) in front of the page numbers.

-- In the generated list specs (ref pages), you have to insert the
<$chapnum> building block and dash/hyphen in front of the page numbers.

-- All your cross-reference formats that include a page number need to
be modified to include the <$chapnum> and dash/hyphen (non-breaking).

-- If you want to create xrefs to front-matter pages (like a
preface/intro) that use roman page numbering (i, ii, iii, ...), you'll
need special xref formats without the <$chapnum> just for those.

-- If you want to index front-matter, you'll need a dedicated marker --
say, IndexFront. In the ref page index spec (IX flow), you'll need an
IndexIX pgf that includes the <$chapnum> and an IndexFrontIX pgf that
has only <$pagenum>.

-- You'll also need front-matter-specific versions of headings you want
included in the TOC. For instance, you might need a Head1Intro pgf
that's identical to your Head1 pgf. But in the ref page TOC spec,
Head1TOC includes the <$chapnum> and Head1IntroTOC doesn't.

-- If you have table and/or figure captions, you'll have to decide
whether you want to restart their numbering with each chapter, too, and
if so, modify their autonumbering to include <$chapnum> also. And modify
the ref page specs for the LOF and LOT accordingly.

-- For the numbering properties, set Chapter as follows:

Front-matter files: Chapter # doesn't matter
1st chapter: Chapter # = 1, Format = Numeric
1st appendix: Chapter # = 1, Format = ALPHABETIC
Subsequent chapters/appendices: Continue Numbering From Previous File
Index: Chapter # = Index, Format = Text

-- For every file except front-matter, set Page to First Page # = 1,
Format = Numeric

-- For front-matter files, set Page Format = roman, with Page # = 1 for
the title page file and Continue Numbering for any subsequent
front-matter files.

I may be forgetting something, but that should get you started. Or
dissuade you ... ;-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer