Dual page numbering

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Wed Mar 11 14:55:37 PDT 2009

I already use the chapter-page numbering. The existing pages list the
unit name followed by a hyphen and the page number. So there are not 24
naked page 3s, there's a Intro-3 and a Something-3 and a Something
Else-3.
The chapter names (vs numbers) make it possible for trainers to re-order
or abandon units as needed without having chapter numbers end up out of
order.
The absolute page numbers would naturally end up out of order, but they
are gray and out of the way,intended to be used by me and the trainers
between classes while the more obvious chapter name-page numbers
intended to be used in class are much more visible at the bottom-center
of the page.

Another solution would be to include the absolute page numbers only on a
"teacher's edition" but I don't want to get into that discussion just
yet.

john

-----Original Message-----
From: Combs, Richard [mailto:richard.combs at Polycom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:47 PM
To: John Sgammato; Milan Davidovic
Cc: framers at frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Dual page numbering

John Sgammato wrote:

> He did. He uses the chapter numbering within a unit to reassure the
user
> that none of the parts is really big and scary. He feels that if he
> takes a break on page 62, students may be dismayed and the endless
> boring class. But if no unit has more than 16 to 20 pages, then he
> expects a sense of moving right along, making progress with an easy
> subject. Most classroom references would use the chapter-oriented
> numbering.
> OTOH the absolute numbering helps us work together and helps him work
> with other trainers when they need to reference a specific page. They
> were having trouble getting on the same page with 24 different page
> 3s...

But there shouldn't be 24 different page 3s. If you're going to restart
numbering for each chapter, you need to use what's called folio (or
chapter-page) numbering:

1-1, 1-2, 1-3, ..., 2-1, 2-2, ..., 3-1, 3-2, ...

It should be clear even to a trainer (that's a joke) that page 3-17 and
page 6-17 aren't the same page. In Acrobat, you can set the numbering to
match -- or save a lot of time by getting Rick Quatro's PageLabeler
plugin, which transfers FM's page numbering to the PDF.

Setting up folio numbering in FM is a bit of work. You really should
create a new set of templates (not from scratch, of course, but starting
from your existing templates) for folio-numbered books.

-- On the master pages, you have to insert the Chapter Number variable
and a dash or hyphen (I use an N dash) in front of the page numbers.

-- In the generated list specs (ref pages), you have to insert the
<$chapnum> building block and dash/hyphen in front of the page numbers.

-- All your cross-reference formats that include a page number need to
be modified to include the <$chapnum> and dash/hyphen (non-breaking).

-- If you want to create xrefs to front-matter pages (like a
preface/intro) that use roman page numbering (i, ii, iii, ...), you'll
need special xref formats without the <$chapnum> just for those.

-- If you want to index front-matter, you'll need a dedicated marker --
say, IndexFront. In the ref page index spec (IX flow), you'll need an
IndexIX pgf that includes the <$chapnum> and an IndexFrontIX pgf that
has only <$pagenum>.

-- You'll also need front-matter-specific versions of headings you want
included in the TOC. For instance, you might need a Head1Intro pgf
that's identical to your Head1 pgf. But in the ref page TOC spec,
Head1TOC includes the <$chapnum> and Head1IntroTOC doesn't.

-- If you have table and/or figure captions, you'll have to decide
whether you want to restart their numbering with each chapter, too, and
if so, modify their autonumbering to include <$chapnum> also. And modify
the ref page specs for the LOF and LOT accordingly.

-- For the numbering properties, set Chapter as follows:

Front-matter files: Chapter # doesn't matter 1st chapter: Chapter # = 1,
Format = Numeric 1st appendix: Chapter # = 1, Format = ALPHABETIC
Subsequent chapters/appendices: Continue Numbering From Previous File
Index: Chapter # = Index, Format = Text

-- For every file except front-matter, set Page to First Page # = 1,
Format = Numeric

-- For front-matter files, set Page Format = roman, with Page # = 1 for
the title page file and Continue Numbering for any subsequent
front-matter files.

I may be forgetting something, but that should get you started. Or
dissuade you ... ;-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer