Off topic - three general documentation questions

Mon Mar 16 08:19:37 PDT 2009

Saunders, Ian wrote:

> My team are reviewing the Frame templates we use for producing PDF
files.
> It has been suggested that we:
>
> *         Do not use chapter numbers/appendix letters
>
> *         Begin main index entries with a capital letter
>
> *         Put a logo (or message) on blank pages to show that they are
not
> blank in error.
>
> We have reached an impasse...
>
> I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can supply their take on
the
> relevant "industry standards" or maybe even point me at a definitive
> statement.

I suggest assembling a collection of user manuals and books relevant to
your industry as examples. I suspect you'll not find many embracing
these ideas. Then alternatingly repeat "Why?" and "But nobody else does
that!" until the proponents run screaming from the room.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.