Omega symbol becomes W in pdf

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue Mar 17 14:45:53 PDT 2009

My document uses some special symbols, like the Omega.

To create it, I type W and then apply a Symbol character tag, which
applies the Symbol font.

I've created PDFs from this file in two ways:

---Used Framemaker's "Save as" feature.

---Printed to .ps file and opened it in Acrobat Distiller. In this case,
I've deselected "Do not send fonts to printer." I believe this should
assure that the Symbol font is sent to the printer.

Either way, the Omega character is turned back into a W in the final
PDF.

This is also happening with the Symbol +/minus sign (the plus is
directly over the minus) -- it is transformed into a plain minus sign.
NOT GOOD.

I'm sure this problem is as old as the hills, but I have Googled lots of
phrases and have not found a good treatment of this subject.

In the short term, I'm creating .gifs of the symbols and importing them
into the text as graphics, but that is time-consuming and clumsy.

All suggestions will be very welcome.

--Nancy