Globally changing the path to referenced files

Martinek, Carla CMartinek at zebra.com
Wed Mar 25 06:32:49 PDT 2009

Menahem -

This may or may not help you in the future, but when I send files to the
translators, I use the Archive plugin to create a stand-alone copy of
the source files. I don't need to maintain the original directory
structure since I consider the translated guides to be a "snapshot" of a
particular development point, and will not be working in or editing the
translated guides once I get them back.

The Archive plugin is avialable from Bruce Foster at
http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.foster/Archive.htm

I've included the description below.

Regards,
Carla

***************************************
Carla Martinek, Senior Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation

-----------------
Archive Plugin Description

Archive is a shareware plugin for FrameMaker that copies a book to an
archive directory and gathers all documents, referenced graphics, and
text insets for that book into the archive directory. All references in
the archived book are relative and point to documents, graphics, and
text insets under the archive directory. Archive does not change
references to documents that are not part of the book, and these
references can be absolute.

Once a book has been archived, you can zip the archive directory to
create a compressed archive of your book. You can also use this Archive
plugin to create a self-contained book, making it easy to move the book
and all necessary files to a new location without breaking references.

Archive will also archive a single document and its referenced objects.

If your documents reference two or more graphic files that have the same
filename but reside in different source directories, Archive will rename
the files when placing them into the archve. Each file with a duplicate
name added to the archive will be renamed from filename.xxx to
filenameNNN.xxx. Documents with identical filenames but different
pathnames and text insets with identical filenames but different
pathnames are treated similarly.

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.