Variable Plugin and Strategies

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Tue May 12 12:13:43 PDT 2009

Joseph,

I've used BookVars to do this for a client. I can't recall the details, but
it worked quite well to clean up variables across a few books.

I think your strategy depends on your needs. Things I'd think about are:

- How many variables are shared (the same) across books.

- If there are lots of different variables for each book (actual variable or
value), you might consider separate templates that just contain the
variables (one template for each book).

- If there are just a small number of different variables or values, you
might keep them all in one template and name them in a way that
distinguishes them and makes them easy to insert.

The easy to insert part does seem to be more of an issue with FM 9. I've
been playing with the trial and, though I thought it was fixed, I can't do
Ctrl+0 and press c multiple times to get to the right variable that starts
with c and press Enter to insert it. Something you might want to keep in
mind and test when naming variables.

Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
lindag at techcomplus dot com
www.techcomplus.com
303-450-9076 or 800-500-3144
User guides, online help, FrameMaker and
WebWorks ePublisher templates