embedding base 14 fonts

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:48:29 PDT 2009

Sorry for rather aged reference (not exactly recommended by me, though). :-(

Oddly enough this was the very first reference that came up by Google.
Actually the ref is since 2003.
The main thing issue for me was to explain the name of the collection
and the reason why Acrobat may default not to not embed these fonts.

Here is another reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Base_14_fonts

I have been using Acrobat 4 through 8 and I have not seen any
difference in the standard behaviour of the versions regarding these
fonts, but always followed the rules, especially emphasized by our
dear Shlomo Peretz: to embed all fonts, no exceptions (in spite of
what Wikipedia and others say) because various printers with the base
14 fonts installed may not always have them behaving 100% the same as
what you will see on your screen with your (default) printer settings.
I have come across differences which can be annoying.

Keep to the rule of embedding all fonts unless you are just making the
pdf for web wiew for relatively new Windows computers only.

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson