Can no longer make a pdf of a large book

Klaus Daube frame at daube.ch
Tue May 19 00:39:18 PDT 2009

On 18 May 2009 at 17:03, Madeleine r Dimond wrote:

> I received a complaint from a writer who said that FrameMaker 9 took up so
> much processing power that she could not make a pdf of her 700-page book,
> even though she could do so in FrameMaker 8. We're using Windows XP SP2,
> and she has 3.25 GB of RAM.

Madeleine,

With the same 'processing power' at my workstation I observe the
following:
- IMHO the effect is idependent of FM8 or FM9
- the intermediate file (tps) of my 400 pages FM handout is about 250MB
  due to many screen shots and imbedded PDFs
- the final PDF is about 5.5 MB
- processing time and intermed. file size heavily depend on number of
images,
  their resolution etc. Scaled down images in the FM document must be
processed!
- 'Save as PDF' creates the intermediate files in the same directories
as the FM
  file is. If that is a network drive, significant time consumption
must be
  envisioned! Even an USB disk might hamper your expectations.

Klaus Daube