FM 8.2 query with regard to .skp and .u3d file translation. I want 3d in my .pdf output.

Shell, Robert rshell at iafrica.com
Thu May 21 01:49:17 PDT 2009

Dear Framers:
A collaborator of mine has produced a fantastic layered graphic in the free
version of Sketchup 7. It is a big file, over 10mb, which I had hoped to
place in my FM file of 77MB. I had hoped, or assumed that Sketchup 7 (free)
version would be able to save to .u3d which I erroneously assumed would be a
free to air option in every vector graphic program. This was a silly
assumption. The advertised Sketchup plug-in, which I have downloaded,
however, runs out of memory translating the .skp file. I am running Vista
with 4 gigs of Ram and lots of graphics board memory.  I have ordered the
Adobe Technical Communication Suite in the hope that Acrobat 3D might be
able to do it, but I would much rather work with the Native FM file and a
.u3d file. Any framers out there with any hints or workaround?

As it stands my product is going out on a CD with a bewildering number of
install folders to access the various visual facets of the product which has
taken many years of preparation.

Obviously I would like just one .pdf file.

Thanks for a wonderful listserv!

Robert Shell