smart quotes in XML?

Orly Zimmerman orlyz at marvell.com
Thu May 21 05:17:22 PDT 2009

HI All,
I'm using Adobe Framemaker 8 from the technical suite

Currently, we are converting our FM files into XML and then inputting info into a database. From this database we will be creating our FM files again.

Now, in the XML file we noticed something strange that the smart quotes get translated into some unintelligible letters - apparently the Unicode or something.

Can anyone tell me what the Unicode for the begin, end smart double and single quotes are, so that we may perform a search and replace to normal (straight) quotes in the XML ?
Or how I would replace them?
In the future - we'll know to do this first in the FM - but for now we've already begun working in XML and don't want to convert again.

Thanks
 Orly Z.