Frame Postscript Output Problem

Oran Petersen orandeep at comcast.net
Tue Oct 6 09:13:24 PDT 2009

One thing I did not see mentioned in this recent thread is the possiblity of file name issues.

Over the years I have seen hundreds of frustrated users trying desperately to created postscript or pdf and getting nothing but cryptic (or no) messages and failure. In every case the problem was their file name. Some insist on using special characters and writing novels in their file names, which is against "best practices" but often works in Windows most of the time. Printers and pdf all use Postscript code, which goes back to dos days, and which is therefore is less tolerant of these "bad" names than Windows in general. The first thing you should try is renaming the file to the old 8.3 standard with no special characters. Even in this day I still see this issue a couple of times a year.