Beware the Inadvertent Global Search and Replace

David Dorbin ddorbin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:02:52 PDT 2009

Argh.

Before I had Frame 9, I had Frame 7, and I used to would Find things thusly:

1. Press Ctrl-f
2. Start typing the text to find.
3. Press Enter.

Now in Frame 9, when I press ctrl-f, the Find/Change pod displays, but the
cursor is rarely waiting there in the text box. In fact, the "focus" seems
to be unpredictable.

This has bitten me a few times already. I hit ctrl-f and start typing, and
Frame decides that I meant to do a global search and replace. It might be
that I'm typing "c" and that activates the Change button. Lucky for me, I've
usually got the Document rather than the Book radio button selected, so it
only makes the change in the current chapter. And I can do a quick Undo
Replace.

Lucky until today, that is. This time the Book radio button was lit up, and
Frame replaced x with y 27 times across all chapter files. And it opens each
one, makes the changes, and closes it, so there is no Undo. I had to open up
each of 18 chapter files, search for the replace text, evaluate each
occurrence with my actual mind to see if was one of the inadvertent
replacements, and fix it back.

Anyone else experienced this? Any advice, other than to slow down and to
rely less on keyboard shortcuts?

Dave D.