Beware the Inadvertent Global Search and Replace

Penelope Perkins Penelope.Perkins at synergex.com
Fri Oct 16 08:31:19 PDT 2009

I posted this yesterday and copied to David. I know he received it, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the list, so I'm resending.

David,

We first had this problem in FM 7.2 when Adobe removed the "are you sure?" prompt that used to appear when you selected Change All. After one of our writers had to fix an inadvertant find & replace in a 1500 page manual, I used Resource Hacker to remove the shortcut (in FM7 and 8, it's the letter A) from the Change All button. Without the shortcut, you have to click the Change All button or tab to it and press Enter, which has eliminated the problem for us. Just Google "resource hacker" to find a download site. The util is really easy to use, but we're still on FM8 so I can't say whether you can use it on FM9 dialogues.

Regards,

Penelope

Penelope Perkins, Senior Technical Writer
Synergex
Sacramento, California
pperkins at synergex.com