FM 9 vs. InDesign

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Oct 22 07:56:37 PDT 2009

Hi, Rick:
Thanks for the detailed reply.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Rick Quatro <rick at rickquatro.com> wrote:

>  Hi Peter,
>

> I am comparing component chapter files in a catalog with lots of data. We
> used InDesign CS4. Although we don’t have a version of the catalog in
> FrameMaker for direct comparison, experience tells me that the performance
> would be better in any recent version of FrameMaker.

Have you evaluated the performance of the catalog tools made for InDesign?

>  The fact that InDesign scripting is built in doesn’t affect my business;
> I make money writing scripts, not selling scripting tools.

I was thinking about the many free InDesign scripts; I don't know how this
compares to free FrameScript scripts.

> Based on my experience, InDesign scripting performance with JavaScript is
> poor compared to FrameScript/FrameMaker performance, particularly for more
> complex tasks.

Inefficient coding is common.

> When you using automation, the cost for a third-party tool can be recovered
> quickly if there are significant gains in performance.

Agreed.

>  This is not to say that I don’t like InDesign; it is a great tool with
> many nice features. But I would be cautious about moving to InDesign from
> FrameMaker unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

Two popular reasons are the significantly better typography controls, and
the better graphics features; ID's drawing tools are quite advanced vs. FM,
and there's more power in manipulating imported graphics. The graphic
features overlap Photoshop to some degree; the advantage here is staying
inside one application to use them. With TCS2 including the full Photoshop
application, "more is more" for sure.

"Compelling" is subjective, I agree. Usually, technical documentation's
communication of information doesn't improve significantly because of
more-sophisticatedly composed type, but for some publishers or publications,
masterful typesetting is a compelling requirement.

Perhaps Tina's list of requirements will provide more information for
comparing the applications and their suitability.

> Regards,
>

> Peter

> Peter Gold
>
> KnowHow ProServices