FM 9 vs. InDesign

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Thu Oct 22 11:03:07 PDT 2009

One "feature" to remember is the pool of talent available to maintain
the docs if you are unable to.
I know I (or my intern) can find in my current Rolodex FM users who
could take over my docs if I get hit by a bus. At this time I could not
do the same for InDesign users, so I would have to build that network,
too.
john

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Peter Gold
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:57 AM
To: Rick Quatro
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: FM 9 vs. InDesign

Hi, Rick:
Thanks for the detailed reply.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Rick Quatro <rick at rickquatro.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Peter,
>

> I am comparing component chapter files in a catalog with lots of data.

> We used InDesign CS4. Although we don't have a version of the catalog
> in FrameMaker for direct comparison, experience tells me that the
> performance would be better in any recent version of FrameMaker.

Have you evaluated the performance of the catalog tools made for
InDesign?

>  The fact that InDesign scripting is built in doesn't affect my
> business; I make money writing scripts, not selling scripting tools.

I was thinking about the many free InDesign scripts; I don't know how
this compares to free FrameScript scripts.

> Based on my experience, InDesign scripting performance with JavaScript

> is poor compared to FrameScript/FrameMaker performance, particularly
> for more complex tasks.

Inefficient coding is common.

> When you using automation, the cost for a third-party tool can be
> recovered quickly if there are significant gains in performance.

Agreed.

>  This is not to say that I don't like InDesign; it is a great tool
> with many nice features. But I would be cautious about moving to
> InDesign from FrameMaker unless there is a compelling reason for doing
so.

Two popular reasons are the significantly better typography controls,
and the better graphics features; ID's drawing tools are quite advanced
vs. FM, and there's more power in manipulating imported graphics. The
graphic features overlap Photoshop to some degree; the advantage here is
staying inside one application to use them. With TCS2 including the full
Photoshop application, "more is more" for sure.

"Compelling" is subjective, I agree. Usually, technical documentation's
communication of information doesn't improve significantly because of
more-sophisticatedly composed type, but for some publishers or
publications, masterful typesetting is a compelling requirement.

Perhaps Tina's list of requirements will provide more information for
comparing the applications and their suitability.

> Regards,
>

> Peter

> Peter Gold
>
> KnowHow ProServices