Conditional Text - Best Practices

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 17:56:12 PDT 2009

Using your example, two sentences, translation or not. The sentences are
different enough that it would be real confusing if all conditions were
turned on.

If it were simply a different product name, without translation, then one
sentence.

Translation, in my mind, would dictate having separate sentences. Send each
version of the book to the translator with the proper instructions to
translate book1 into French, book 2 into Spanish, or whatever. Eliminates
errors by the translation outfit.

David Spreadbury
Sr. Technical Writer