can a chapter in a book be set to conditional?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:11:31 PDT 2009

The question I answered did not deal with multi-level (nested?) books. It was a simple question about building two different deliverables from a mostly shared set of component files. The answer to that question is that the method for excluding one chapter from one deliverable while including in the other deliverable is to construct two different book files from the same set of chapters (except the one to be excluded, of course).

Richard Combs recommended using separate cover pages that contain the version-specific values of user variables (e.g. document ID and book title for headers/footers), which is also my practice. I also use the cover page to contain the version-specific conditional text settings which I import along with the variables into the chapters when I'm preparing to publish the individual versions. I also keep separate sets of book-specific generated files (TOC, LOF, LOT, Index) for each variant just to make the publishing process more foolproof.

-Fred Ridder