Help wth hyperlinks_Please

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Sep 9 23:49:38 PDT 2009

Susan,

You wrote:

>Reminder:  FM7  and Acrobat Distiller 5.0  on Vista Enterprise
>
>    Option 2 worked great.  But I have a question.
>In that setup page there is this note  (partial excerpt):
>If you always regenerate PDF after adding new links, turn this setting
>OFF. This is the recommended setting.
>
>I regenerate the FM file to do updates and to get ready to make a new
>PDF,,, but I'm not regenerating a PDF file.
>
>Could you please explain this for me?

I'm afraid you have to try and and approach the original author for an
explanation of the recommendation present in the dialog box...

The more named destinations you have in a PDF, the larger the file size is.
This setting was introduced in FM6 to help reduce the PDF file size.

When "Create Named Destinations for All Pgfs" is turned off , some
cross-references and hypertext links may be non-functional in the PDF.

I much prefer a PDF where all links work as expected, even if its file size
is larger by 20-25%.

If the file size is critical, I would recommend other ways to reduce the
file size (including that portion related to named destinations, but not
through FrameMaker).

Unfortunately, there is no lack of PDFs authored in FM demonstrating the
outcome of having this option turned off, including PDFs from Adobe -- see
http://www.microtype.com/Hmmms.html#0605 (109 bad links in Adobe FrameMaker
7.2 "Structure Application Developer's Guide").

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

"Liven up your PDFs with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants"
1-hour webinar (free)
Thursday, Sept. 10, starting 10am PDT | 1pm EDT | 5pm UTC/GMT:
https://student.gototraining.com/register/8019702938678710980
.