Help: File gone berserk

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Sep 11 08:00:00 PDT 2009

Lea Galanter wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I attempted to create a PDF
> yesterday of a book that I've created numerous times before. For some
> unknown reason I received an error message in the log indicating that a
> certain font was not available. I occasionally get this message but I
> ignore it, because I have no idea why Frame thinks I'm using a font it
> doesn't have. It's never stopped a PDF from being created, until
> yesterday. Frame simply refused to create the PDF. I have no idea what's
> wrong with the file (it's the cover). The only font used is Arial. There
> are no other fonts in the file. I even did a Select All and reapplied
> Arial just in case, but to no avail.
>
> Has anyone ever had this problem before? Is there some way to search
> Frame files for a specific font in order to change it?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Lea Galanter

Lea,

The only font *visible* is Arial, but FM may have other font names saved
in the file on reference pages or in table tag definitions.  The fact
that the message is intermittent suggests that between sessions your
default printer has changed (perhaps from a physical printer to AdobePDF
or vice versa).  When a physical printer is the default, it reports its
resident fonts to the OS, which then falsely informs applications that
those fonts are actually installed on the PC.  When the default printer
changes, poof -- those fonts are gone.

The SetPrint plug-in from
http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm
eliminates that problem.

More info, and instructions for cleaning up files:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/327/327053.html

Best regards,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

to beg in the streets, steal bread, or sleep under a bridge."

--Anatole France