OT: Describing software user interfaces using DITA

Andersen, Verner Engell VEA verner.andersen at radiometer.dk
Mon Sep 14 00:47:49 PDT 2009

Hi
I am looking at my software user interface and evaulating what should be
tasks, comcepts and reference. Right now I am creating context-sensitive
help and a paper manual (single-sourced).

In my interface I can create hundreds of tasks, but they are very simple
almost self-explanatory on screen.
Tasks like

"Printing a report",
"Approving a result",
"Reviewing a result"
"Writing a reject comment"

What is more difficult is to describe what happens behind the scene.
What new features opens up for you depending on your choices.

Yet another issue is that what is probably the most difficult for users
to understand is typical reference information like all the symbols on
different screens. They are not all intuitive and without documentation
the user hasn't a clue to what is going on.

Questions:

Do you describe the very simple tasks? If so, how do you handle hundreds
of small tasks in a paper manual?
Where do you describe task-related connections between features?
Where do you place reference information that is necessary for the user
to know?

Are there any good examples of DITA doumentation that illustrate my
issues?

Best regards,

Verner

Radiometer Medical ApS
Akandevej 21
2700 Bronshoj
Denmark
Phone: +45 38 27 38 27
CVR: 27 50 91 85
www.radiometer.com
For the latest trends in acute care testing, go to Radiometer's knowledge site www.acutecaretesting.org

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy or
re-transmit this email.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify us by email by replying to the sender and by telephone
(call us collect at +1 202-828-0850) and delete this message and any
attachments.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

In addition, Danaher and its subsidiaries disclaim that the content of
this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of,
any
contract or agreement or any amendment thereto; provided that the
foregoing disclaimer does not invalidate the binding effect of any
digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is
included in any attachment to this email.