Help: File gone berserk

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 04:38:10 PDT 2009

Concerning missing fonts messages even though you have tried all the tricks to clear that font out of your document...

There's a known issue with FrameMaker -- Maker stores font information with table formats. I think this is how it goes... If you copy/paste a table into your document, and it's not identical to an existing table format in your document, Maker creates a new table format under the covers, and stores font information with it. If you copied from a document that uses font X, then your document will now expect to have font X whenever it opens.

The new table format can be created such that you have no direct access to the format definition.  That means that you can't change the font definition.  These table formats aren't even exposed to the API, which means you can't get a plugin or FrameScript tool to fix the problem -- believe me, if it was exposed to the API there would be fixes available.

The only fix I know of is to open the file in MIF and search/replace the font name.  I think you need to replace all variants of the font name, but I'm not sure...  I'm kind of font-stupid, and I'm not sure what MIF does with incomplete font declarations.  I have always removed all variants of the name...

I suppose another thing to try would be to copy/paste all the content from your document into a new file built with a clean template.  This would assume that the offending font is never included in any of the visible content, and you have no format overrides.  I haven't tried this -- it just occurs to me now.  Who knows...  I could work.

I really wish Adobe would expose this information in the API.

cud