Disappearing commenting function

David Kuhn david.kuhn at amdocs.com
Tue Sep 29 02:21:29 PDT 2009

Although this problem is not on the FrameMaker side of things, I'm sure it is common for Frame users to send out docs as PDFs for review.
A major problem with the Commenting function has appeared in Adobe Reader.
It seems like it MIGHT be related to some Adobe updates that were just pushed through by our company.
I enabled a PDF for commenting and sent it out for email review.
The receivers see in the document properties that it is enabled for commenting, but they cannot access the commenting toolbar.
This happened both with Reader 8 and 9.
I could not find the toolbar either.  There was nothing under the View > Toolbars menu or the Tools menu that would activate it.
We have been using this function for a long time and depend on it, but it has suddenly disappeared.

A strange fact is that when one user upgraded from Reader 8 to 9, it solved the problem for them, even though someone else with Reader 9 still had the problem.
Help!

David Kuhn
Technical Writer, PBG

+1.972.9.776.1956 (desk)
+1.972.54.307.8987 (mobile)

AMDOCS > CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SYSTEMS INNOVATION