Adobe information on conditional text enhancements in 8.x / 9.x, feedback, compatibility issues

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 16:54:20 PDT 2010

Melissa,
One such document on the BOOLEAN conditional text feature is documented in
an article by Sarah O'Keefe and can be found at
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/framemaker/articles/fm8_single_sourcing.html.

If you do a web search for "framemaker 8 boolean", without the
double-quotes, you will get a log of hits that explain the Frame 8 features.
I tried it with "framemaker 9 boolean" and got almost as many.

Between these you should be able to gather sufficient justification for
upgrading to frame 9.

I am running 7.2, 8, and an eval of 9 and haven't found any issues when
saving as a previous version, a 9 document back to 8, back to 7.2. The big
issue there is that any 9=specific features will be dropped when going to 8,
and 8=specific features are dropped when going to 7.2, which should be
expected.

HTH,

David Spreadbury
Sr. Technical Writer